• Advertisement

Cetus and Nexus working together - advice please

General discussion about all things Koi

Postby alpina » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:20 am

Hi all,

I've finally worked out the gear I want and would appreciate some advice on the best way to set it up.

My pond is an above ground indoor setup (concrete and fibreglassed) with glass front holding about 4500lts.

I'm thinking BD to Cetus (gravity fed) and then pumped (sequence 10k) to Nexus 200 and then gravity fed back to pond. At inlet of the Nexus there will be a "T" and I will pump feed (sequence 6k) the skimmer in also (do I have to pump feed the skimmer?). The outlet of the nexus will flow though a 30w UV clarifier and then back into pond. Im hoping to sit the nexus about 100mm above the water line to achieve this effect ... will this work? How many returns should I use and what size?

My other option is the balanced gravity setup but this will mean another pump and I'm concerned about bacteria growing in the balanced line.

Which of the two options is best?

As I'm at the ordering stage, I'd appreciate any advice you guys can give.

Cheers.
alpina
Starting member
Starting member

Postby Drulton » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:10 pm

Page 7. [;)]. Click on the cetus manual icon.

[url=http://www.evolutionaqua.com/acatalog/The_Cetus_Sieve.html]http://www.evolutionaqua.com/acatalog/The_Cetus_Sieve.html[/url]
Goldfish are the way forward.
Drulton

Postby gibbo » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:00 pm

Hi

Let me check I have read this right.

You will have a cetus sieve with a t'd inlet, one being fed by gravity from bottom drain and one being fed by 6000 pump from skimmer. Then 10000 pump on outlet of cetus going to nexus.

If this is correct then what will happen is the bottom drain will only pull 4000 per hour as you are only pulling 10000 out of the Cetus in total and already putting 6000 in via the skimmer pump.

A better option would be to gravity feed from skimmer and bottom drain to the cetus using a t (and balancing both inlets with valves) and then using a bigger pump on the outlet to pump through the uv and into the nexus, which then returns by gravity.

The BKKS National Koi Show 2015
"At the Heart of Koi Keeping"
20th and 21st June 2015
http://www.thenationalkoishow.co.uk
gibbo

Postby rigger1971 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:26 pm

no gibbo what hes saying is a t just before the nexus with a 6k pumping from the skimmer into the cetus line which is already pumping via a 10k so 16k in all of pumped water into nexus then gravity return?

i dunno if youd get that much thru a 4" pipe there wont be much head loss because of back pressure??
and i dont know about the 16k an hour gravity returning?? whats it returning thru? it,d have to be 4" minimum otherwise itll overflow!

no pond!! what do i know eh??

rigger1971

Postby gibbo » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:00 pm

Cheers rigger, well spotted.

I wouldnt take this approach, it's too much to put through the nexus 200. Also why bypass the sieve with the skimmer flow, it can easily handle the combined flow.

Plus the pond is 4500 litres so a 10000 pump will turn it over every 30 minutes or so. 16000 would be a little more than needed and perhaps waste of eleccy.

Rigger, where you say about getting that much through a 4" pipe do you mean incoming (the beginning of your second paragraph). If so its no problem. I only use 3" pipe for 12000 per hour. I can drain the 20000 litres pond empty through 1 x 3" pipe in 20 minutes. I've also had 10,000 lites pumped to a gravity return using 2 x 11/2" outlets inthe past (1 was not enough).

Personally on this size pond I would still go down the route of putting both inlets through the sieve, pump to the nexus and then gravity return. Valve both inlets so they can be balanced, and use only 1 pump. A 10,000 litre per hour would be fine, although if you wanted you could possibly consider a 12000 to take into account the UV and head to the nexus (bear in mind the head is lower than the pond level it is worked from the level of water in the base of the sieve.
The BKKS National Koi Show 2015
"At the Heart of Koi Keeping"
20th and 21st June 2015
http://www.thenationalkoishow.co.uk
gibbo

Postby rigger1971 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:50 pm

yes i understand that m8 i also didnt read it was only 4500 lol!!!
but to be fair its a lot to get thru a 4" by gravity without a pump speeding it up??
BUT the 10,000 would be more than adequate on its own to cover everything on a pond so small!!
and a 200 on 1000 gallons?i know theres no such thing as too much filtration but!??

no pond!! what do i know eh??

rigger1971

Postby alpina » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:03 pm

guys,

thank you so much for your help.

my original plan was to do as per page 7 on http://www.evolutionaqua.com/acatalog/The_Cetus_Sieve.html

ie, 4" aerated bd and skimmer controlled by valves into cetus, then pump (10k lts ph) to nexus, then pump (10k lts ph) to uv and pond, all the time using a balanced line. by using various valves, i could use the cetus or nexus independently or simultaneously (not that i think i ever would).

i was surprised that my dealer told me that if i have the nexus 100-150mm above water level that i would not need to pump from nexus to pond and that gravity would handle it.

given that the pond is indoor and leaves will not be an issue, what sort of flow should i allow for the skimmer?

will i need 1 or 2 tpr's and what size would they need to be?

thanks
alpina
Starting member
Starting member

Postby koicarpus » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:36 pm

Hi Mate,

I'm pretty certain you probably won't need a skimmer, and you definately won't need a cetus before your nexus 200 as your pond is indoors.
IMHO it's a waste of money, but if you cannot resist then balance pipe and two pumps, and ditch the skimmer.
The nexus 200 is more than capable of running a 1000g indoor pond, and that's all you'll need[:)]
Kind Regards
Dave
koicarpus

Postby alpina » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:26 am

thanks dave,

thinking i'll go balanced line and use 2 pumps.

I know it's probably overkill with the cetus but it for an indoor retail environment and I don't want to take any chances with dirty water, odours, etc.

I was thinking skimmer just to pull any oils or floating food that might rest of the surface.
alpina
Starting member
Starting member

Postby koicarpus » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:50 am

Hi Mate,
Nothing wrong with overkill regarding filters, if you can afford it then why not[:)]
The balance pipe, even though you need two pumps, is easy to install, and you can have it all at water level height.
I suppose it's not that expensive to install a skimmer so it won't hurt, but i really do believe you will not need a cetus sieve, save yourself the money and buy a couple of decent koi instead.
The eazy 200 will easily filter your water to a high standard, the cetus only handles solids, as your pond will not have leaves, twigs, blanket weed, frogs etc etc it really is overkill.
Hope I've helped in some way,
Kind Regards
Dave
koicarpus

Next

Return to Koi Talk

• Advertisement
Avenue Fisheries
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts