• Advertisement
Evolution Aqua Food

Chags and shimmies

General discussion about all things Koi

Postby mit » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:12 pm

Hi, just a question on Chagois, Ochibas etc and their tendency to get several shimmies. Why do they seem to suffer more than other Koi? I've been looking at getting an Ochiba, but worried about the development of shimmies. Are there any rules when looking for one? Or is it just luck if they don't develop them? I've seen an awesome Ochiba for sale, really stunning, at the upper range of what i wanted to spend(a little more really!), which is shimmy free, about 35-40cm. It would be a real shame if it were to develop shimmies, and this is making me think twice.

Thanks, Tim
Tim
Secretary
KANGEI KOI CLUB– Herts, Beds & Bucks

Visit http://www.kangeikoiclub.com
email kangeikoiclub@hotmail.co.uk
or find us on facebook “Kangei Koi Club”
mit

Postby kayoss » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:41 pm

Bronski Beat wrote:Are you seriously saying that you would rather do without the fish altogether than have it with a tiny patch of a different colour that makes absolutely no difference whatsoever???

Are you saying that you'd pay good money for a koi that's appearance you know is going to change to something that you won't like? :o I'd certainly avoid buying a koi that's likely to develop shimmies, even if it was fairly cheap. :roll:

That said, I wouldn't necessarily get rid or a koi just because it developed a shimmie and certainly wouldn't try to remove it - but I'd still be disappointed! :(

Cheers

Bob
Kangei Koi Club – Herts, Beds & Bucks

kayoss

Postby mit » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:58 pm

That's my point, (cheers Bob ;) ) it would be a shame for the Koi to develop shimmies, just wondered if it was total luck if they don't? Saying i'm thinking twice because of shimmies was a bit ott, i'm trying to think of reasons not to buy, which is good for me as i usually just jump in! :roll: I think i'll give it more thought.
As a side note, if shimmies made no difference at all, why do they affect the resale price?

Tim
Tim
Secretary

mit

Postby bigmel » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:18 pm

Out of all the chags i,ve had if they started to develop shimmies they were well under 30 cm when they did .
The ones i kept over 30 cm that i continued to grow all kept shimmie free . Strangely enough one that i bought with a shimmie at 15 cm it disapeared with age and was around 45 cm .

If its shimmie free now i,d guess you have a good chance of it remaning shimmie free . ????
Orchard Fisheries

Koi and Sturgeon food

http://www.orchardfisheries.co.uk/koi-food
bigmel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby johnnyev » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:39 am

I'll show you disappointed if you like? :cry:

Before:

After:

Hope the pics work. Excuse the bad picture of the after shot. First pic is from the dealer.
johnnyev

Postby johnnyev » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:46 am

Sorry can't work out how to resize my pic. :oops:
But you can see what a change has taken place. Koi was 30/35cm when i got it. Its now around the 45cm mark. Breeder is Kaneko.
johnnyev

Postby mit » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:10 am

It's hard to see the first pic, i take it it's now the plain koi in the centre, that was a Ochiba? It's a shame if a koi develops for the worse. I've not had one thats gone bad yet, fairly new to this, but as Bronski beat says, the water must play a massive part in development. I have a Sanke that within a week of going in my pond, has started developing more sumi, but for the better.
Tim
Secretary

mit

Postby johnnyev » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:15 pm

Mmm! Yeah not sure either mate. :?
I possibly put it down to hard water in my own case, which is 8.0/8.2 out of the tap.
johnnyev

Postby markgardner » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:29 pm

CheekyTancho wrote:Maybe its because chagoi are more closely related to magoi, so will have more tendency to develop shimmies. Just a though :) Probably wrong lol

Chagoi not so closely related to Magoi.

www.niigata-nishikigoi.com

Niigata, the home of Nishikigoi

markgardner

Return to Koi Talk

• Advertisement
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts