• Advertisement

Fish Kill - Mink?

General discussion about all things Koi

Postby Woodentop » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:50 am

What a horrible day, went out to my growing on/temp pond and found 2 fish carcasses[:o]. Both had their heads missing and were in a horrible state[:o]

The pond is a 570 gallon round plastic vat and so is about 4 foot off the ground, the cover is made of heavy duty plastic mesh supported by wooden battens, so I thought at least cat/heron proof. It looks like something has forced it's way under the netting and killed the fish, there are lots of scales on the bottom of the pond.

Today I've felt like giving up koi keeping, as I was about to build a new pond, but to design it like Fort Knox does take the pleasure out of it. I'm assuming it must be a mink[:@] Sorry to bang on about it, but any ideas how to make sure the others are safe?
Woodentop

Postby dave g » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:50 pm

Bad news mate, I guess the only thing you can do is get a trap, mink are classed as vermin so no problem knocking it on the head.
dave g

Postby koi boy tom » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:50 pm

ouch!!![:(] thats terrible[:@][:@] i suggest you get one of those vermin things, my uncle has one on his farm to keep rats away. it gives off a high pitched signal and the vermin stay away
koi boy tom

Postby Woodentop » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:50 pm

I'm going to make it pay, BIG TIME! Just looking for traps now...I'm on a mission!
Woodentop

Postby koinutz » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:06 pm

Hi Woodentop.

First off I'm really sorry to hear of your Koi losses.
I have heard of mink and otter taking Koi from ponds, it was on the TV not long ago where someone had their Koi pond emptied by an otter and it left carnage behind.
It sounds like you may have had a visit from one or the other.
You say the top is 4 feet of the ground, is there anything close by that an animal could use to gain access
4 foot straight up a shiny sided vat may be a little tricky even for a mink.
Do you have a river close by?
A raised pond with fairly high sides maybe your best bet.
If the vat has nothing surrounding it I would have thought even a mink couldn't get enough purchase to gain access to the top.
An otter although extremely agile I dont think can jump to well (very short in the leg).
I think I would look closely at anything around the vat that could be used to give purchase and climb up.
Would that make sense?

Andy T
koinutz

Postby koi boy tom » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:06 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: Woodentop

I'm going to make it pay, BIG TIME! Just looking for traps now...I'm on a mission!
[/quote]

good on ya[:D]
were they nice koi?
do you have any pics before the attack?
koi boy tom

Postby chabev10 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:06 pm

I know a man who will sell you some mink traps pm me and i'll give you his number [;)] you might get them for the price of the postage the farm closed years back, I skinned the last mink there in 1998 but he still has all the cage's n traps.
chabev10

Postby Woodentop » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:06 pm

No pics KBT, but they had been raised from eggs as my daughter was involved in a koi breeding project at Sparsholt. So the fish meant a lot to us[:o]

Andy, there is the filter alongside the pond, which is on raised blocks, so easy enough for a mink to get to the top of the pond. I do have a stream through the garden and a river about 1/2 mile as the crow flies.

Woodentop

Postby koi boy tom » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:23 pm

[quote]No pics KBT, but they had been raised from eggs as my daughter was involved in a koi breeding project at Sparsholt. So the fish meant a lot to us [/quote]

awww thats a sickener[:(]
whats the breeding program? sounds interesting
koi boy tom

Postby Woodentop » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:23 pm

I can't remember the details, but it involved stripping the eggs etc. We then raised the fry in an aquarium before release to the pond when they were about an inch long
Woodentop

Next

Return to Koi Talk

• Advertisement
Kings Lynn Koi
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts