• Advertisement
Sterner Aquatics

FISH WITH A TWITCH!!!!!

Post information and advice about Koi health, disease and illness

Postby Judyangee » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:50 am

Now here's one for you [8D]

As some of you may know I have recently had a new pond built for me and I have bought a couple of new fish to start things off (I already had 9 small koi - 3ins - 18ins). I needed a few more fish to get the filters going so I've now got 11 koi and after 11 weeks parameters are :-

Ammonia 0.1 mg/l
Nitrite 0.05 mg/l
KH 20mg/l
GH 20mg/l

TDS and ORP are the same as from the tap and I don't test for nitrate as I have plants (in baskets on brackets) in the pond.

These parameters do not worry me but what does is the latest addition to the pond. [:(]

It is a 35cm sanke and when first put in the pond last Saturady it seemed to settle well and on Sunday it even came to eat out of my hand with the others; in fact I thought it was going to be a "Dyson" and grow incredibly quickly the way it was hoovering all the food up.

BUT since then it has not eaten and developed a twitch!!!!

After it had gorged itself on the food I did actually wonder if it had damaged its throat because its mouth was going all the time as if it was eating but I don't think the food would have lasted for over an hour! That has since stopped and it appears normal.

Anyway the next day it was hiding under the baskets and not really interested in anything. It did come out to swim with the fish when they were fed but it was not interested in eating.

Since then the fish has begun to swim with the rest but every few seconds has what looks like an involuntary reaction and twitches! It will dart off and then swim back to the others. I'm sure that it is involuntary as I have seen it dart straight into the pond wall head on the poor thing.

It has not been flashing at all, all fins are up, including the dorsal fin, and it has never been lying on the pond floor.

It seems quite a healthy fish apart from not eating and twitching :?
All the other fish are fine and occassionally flash but I put that down to the parameters which I hope will level off soon (I have a Nexus 300 Eazy and a Pod on the skimmer)

Anyone come across anything similar? and if you have what was the outcome????

I'm just concerned about it not eating. It appears interested in the food but then swims and twitches away!!!!

Sorry for the long post but I thought that I should give you the whole story [&:]

My Pond Build Photos (work backwards!!!) http://www.koivista.com/display_series. ... series=906

Judyangee

Postby stormbringer8 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:06 am

if i had to take a wild guess ide say it may have a ulcer in its mouth or throat ,
and every so often its getting a sharp pain , this would stop the fish feeding or u may notice it spitting food out

your gonna ned to take a look and if this is the case salt baths may be a good starting point, elgabin in the pool as a secondary line .
stormbringer8

Postby john sarge » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:40 am

Hi Judy

It could be a loose tooth, or something trapped in its mouth or gills.

John
john sarge

Postby alan_t » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:30 am

maybe the fish is constipated. lol
alan_t

Postby jools » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:43 pm

I had one that used to twitch when he was shedding a tooth judy not eat for a few days come up and try but just spit it out try a bit of soaked food see if he takes thatwith it being soft
jools
jools

Postby philnich » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:40 pm

Sorry I can,t help but could you help me. Did you make the brackets for the baskets? What material are they made from? Or can you buy them?
TIA
Phil.
Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit, but, when surrounded by the witless, the sarcastic man is king.
philnich

Postby [Deleted User] » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:20 pm

[Deleted by Admins]
[Deleted User]

Postby stormbringer8 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:36 pm

this thread leads me to ask ... do you think ulcers on the body give the fish much pain ?????
stormbringer8

Postby clinton » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:10 pm

does a open wound in your arm hurt???

or does it just irritate?

Koi are like humans and superficial wounds may be sore but if they gets infected ,then yes, its got to hurt.

Cant see any harm??

Humans can look after their (Open wounds) via plasters and dressings and Health care.

Koi are the same, but its up to us to treat our fish, as they cant do it for themselves.

Clint
clinton

Postby naturenutz » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:33 pm

Hi judy

I have a fish with a twitch, but he twitches when he does eat .If its something in his throat it may work loose,worth keeping an eye on the fish as im sure you are,check the others for any signs too.
Its always a scary time for me adding new fish.
Hope he turns out ok judy
naturenutz

Next

Return to Koi Health

• Advertisement
ShinShiro Koi
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts