• Advertisement
Evolution Aqua Food

How do you stop Koi eating the Plants?

General discussion about all things Koi

Postby Peteg » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:43 pm

I've been keeping Koi for a few years but whenever I put a lily in the pond the fish bite pieces out of the leaves and the pond ends up resembling a jigsaw puzzle while the roots, stems and buds are left alone. I haven't put any other plants in the pond for this reason, also I did lose a number of fish after putting a second lily in the pond.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal or if the lily could have killed the fish? and would adding a number of other different plants stop them eating the lily?

Peteg

Postby debs1964 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:43 pm

Hi Pete

I have seen these plant pots that float on top of the water that you can put a lilly in .
DEBS

debs1964

Postby chaos » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:43 pm

[quote]How do you stop Koi eating the Plants?[/quote]
Not the most helpfull response mate, but quite simply you don't put plants in with koi, no point, they'll just root them out. Only way i've seen to get plants in a koi pond is to hang them over the side
East of England Koi Show | East of England Garden Show
18th & 19th July 2015 - Huntingdon Racecourse, Cambridgeshire

Social Media - Koi Show On Facebook - Koi Show On Twitter
chaos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby debs1964 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:16 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: chaos

[quote]How do you stop Koi eating the Plants?[/quote]
Not the most helpfull response mate, but quite simply you don't put plants in with koi, no point, they'll just root them out. Only way i've seen to get plants in a koi pond is to hang them over the side
[/quote]

Its really odd chaos, I have had my pond now 2 years, the lily I have in there for the 2 years the koi never touch, but if I buy a new plant/lily... its gone in a couple of days!!

Maybe they think its a new toy to play with .

Last year I had a parrots feather plant in there looked lovely, it died in the winter , so I took it out, got a new one in the spring, my Grass carp eat it over night !!
DEBS

debs1964

Postby fisherman » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:16 pm

H Pete welcome to the forum

[font=calibri][size=3]You could always get a sticky plaster and put it over it’s mouth [:D][:D][:D][:D][;)][/size][/font]
fisherman

Postby Donald » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:30 am

have a read here:

http://forum.koimag.co.uk/tm.asp?m=235200&mpage=1&key=plant%2Cbasket𹜓
Donald
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dave g » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:53 am

I do same as Chaos, hang them over the side in baskets with some stones to hold them in the basket, not had a problem and the koi love swimming through them on their quest for food. New pond is looking good Chaos.
dave g

Postby ralphr » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:10 am

I gave up with koi & plants in the same pond after seeing £00's worth of plants either eaten or dug out.

Fortunately I have 2 linked ponds, one of which the koi can't access, so in one of them I have plants with orfe, goldfish, shubunkins etc & they haven't been touched at all.
ralphr

Postby tommy2ponds » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:10 am

Hi All the only plant I have in my big pond is an arum Lilly this is tied to my pergola post it just hangs in the water no pot or soil needed the koi just eat the small shooting roots the main root is to big for them it looks really good when it flowers [:)]

Please click my link

http://www.lbaquaticconsultants.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/LB-Aquat ... 4888711494

The lord works in mysterious ways-Elwood Blues
tommy2ponds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dave g » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:26 am

Got an Arum in the front garden, it will take more than a few koi to them, my mrs and mum hate it and have been trying for years to kill it, even bleach has been used, but it just bounces back, good job coz I love it.
dave g

Next

Return to Koi Talk

• Advertisement
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts