• Advertisement
Evolution Aqua Food

Koi swimming with head down

Post information and advice about Koi health, disease and illness

Postby mcasteel » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:40 pm

I've had him in my pond now for almost 3 weeks. The other one I purchased when I got him is doing great. I noticed today when I came out to feed them that he was swimming rapidly with his head down, but not really going anywhere. When he came up to feed, he had to work to stay in the water. It was almost like if he stopped swimming, he would have floated on top of the water. He was fine yesterday. I've searched around on the internet, but I can't seem to find anything to do with his floating / swimming problem. Any idea what it could be or how I could treat it? Any help is appreciated.
mcasteel

Postby mcasteel » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:40 pm

Would a swim bladder problem cause this floating effect? Is it curable or will the fish die if it has a swim bladder problem. I have a large goldfish in the pond too and I've been feeding it goldfish flakes. The koi has been eating the flakes too. Could this cause the problem?
mcasteel

Postby discusdan » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:20 am

ive found that having parasites causes thrm to swim with their head down and sit on the bottom or just hang in the middle with its fins out
discusdan

Postby Sheba » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:53 am

Hi,
The typical symptoms of a swimbladder problem is the koi either sitting on the bottom of pond or floating at the surface, they sometimes swim with their tail higher looking like they are nose diving.
Sometimes it can be caused when the temperature of the pond is unstable (Not sure whether that could be the case at this time of year?)
There was another post on this so do a search and I think you may find something.
I dont think its anything to do with the koi eating the goldfish flakes. I presume you are feeding them with a good quality koi pellet. Let us know how you get on.
Sheba

Postby Alan » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:43 pm

I agree with sheba, It does sound like swimbladder. there was a posting not so long ago about this.
Alan

Return to Koi Health

• Advertisement
Evolution Aqua Food
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts