• Advertisement

Mid Water Returns ???

Step-by-step guides to your favourite pond builds

Postby KOI_BOY » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:03 pm

Hello,

In the Middle of my build and im wondering if at this point is it worth adding a couple of mid water returns.

one from the main bottom drain filter system and one from the skimmer system

Im just wondering how these are meant to be installed, im guessing that the mid return has to be pumped back into the pond it cant be gravity returned under water level ?

also from my skimmer filter system will this work:

Skimmer > Aquamax 6000 > Pressurised filter system > mid feed return to pond

will this work as a mid feed return, as the filter is pressurised will the pump be able to filter water and then pump water back through a mid return pipe ???

im just a bit confused on how the mid returns work ???

Please can someone push me in the right direction

(I could really do with visiting some of your ponds and being showed how it should be installed lol)

Cheers
Ellis
2,200 Gals, Heated, Multibay, Fibreglass Finish, 4" Bottom Drain, Sequence 8000, Aquamax 8000, Hiblow 70 +30

*** Link To My Pond Build***
http://www.koimag.co.uk/forum/post598849.html#p598849

KOI_BOY

Postby wooden fish » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:03 am

I put mid water returns in used the 45 degree ones, they are simply there to give a bit of circulation to the pond fom what i understand, i would not put skimmer to a mid water return would be worth creating some distrbance on the surface, so i used the same 45 return at the surface to spin the water in the direction of the skimmer to clear crud off surface.

if you are going to put the in best to do it now rather than latter, from wht i gather you just glass them in. but you wont be doing that for a while so you have plenty of time.

it is simply a pipe that goes through the wall of pond either striaght of angled, you might find the 6000 pump bit slow for returns if you have more than one, and make sure you valve them all so you can adjust flow between them
wooden fish

Postby KOI_BOY » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:20 am

Thanks for your reply.

So is it worth just having the skimmer filter water returned just as pipe entering the pond from above the water level ?

Cheers
2,200 Gals, Heated, Multibay, Fibreglass Finish, 4" Bottom Drain, Sequence 8000, Aquamax 8000, Hiblow 70 +30

KOI_BOY

Postby wooden fish » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:20 am

depends on if you like the look of a pipe returning the water back to pond, and if you are gravity or pump feeding the filter for the pond,

if your gravity from skimmer to filter dont do what i did and use 1half pipe it is not big enough for flow, having to change mine for 3"

personaly i dont like pipe that return water over the top of cappings, the look of a black or grey pipe coming over the top looks pants, if you want to hide it in some sort of feature,

my surface return is just under the surface of water and is pumped from filter
wooden fish

Postby kashiraponds » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:13 am

Can I see a plan of your pond, I would say put both returns in the same corner of your pond, one higher in the water than the other. Then position Your skimmer in the opposite corner of Your pond, but on the same wall as the returns. Not a fan of over the top returns, chill factor on water, very unsightly and as noisy as hell and fish will always be attracted to water pouring into a pond and if you have a bit of pipe sticking through a wall chances are Your koi will jump into it and harm themself.
Justin
kashiraponds
Starting member
Starting member

Postby KOI_BOY » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:46 am

Thanks exacly how i was going to do it.

This is my setup:

gravity fed filter > aqumax >T Piece > Cascade feature
> Mid water return

Skimmer > aquamax > Pressurised filter > surface return (just below water level - (To create surface water flow in the direction of the skimmer)

That way in the winter i can shut off water to the cascade and return it using the mid return.

For the piping for the skimmer and mid returns what pipe would you reccomend. Will 2" solvent weld do the job or should it be pressure pipe ?

Also where do you guys get your pressure pipe fittings from, as my local dealer has shutdown and the only other place i know of is on the internet.

(im in hertfordshire)

Cheers

[:D]

KOI_BOY

Postby kashiraponds » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:46 am

Sounds as if You have it in hand, although I would fit the returns .
BD feed at 450mm below surface
Sk feed at 300mm below surface
Directly above one another
This will give you plenty of water movement, I wouldnt put them up any higher than that, as Your pond although is a nice size its not massive. To much surface current and all You will do every time You feed Your koi is lose Your food in the skimmer basket.
I would always suggest 2 " pipework for Your returns. Polypipe or Pressure Pipe, That will all depend on Your budget. If Your only going to do it once do it right and go with Pressure pipe. I use nothing but Pressure that gives not only Me, but My customers peace of mind.
Justin
kashiraponds
Starting member
Starting member

Postby KOI_BOY » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:53 pm

Hi Again,

Regarding the mid-return from the main filter sytem, should i enter the pipe into the pond at an angle so that it circulates the water further or is it best to enter the pond straight ?

lastly, i may be having some small goldfish in the pond so when the the mid return is off and diverted to the cascade im just a little worried if the smaller fish try and swim into the 2" return pipe ? Can anything be done, like covers / mesh ?

Cheers

KOI_BOY

Postby wooden fish » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:10 pm

just had a look at your pond if it was mine i would be tempted to put one on the filter bay wall at the gate end so it pushes water around the curve ( if that makes sense of where) and put the other on the fence wall so is aimed along the filter bay wall,

i am no expert but might help,
wooden fish

Postby lucky » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:00 pm

Hi Koi Boy
where abouts are you in hertfordshire? i am 3/4 of the way through my first koi pond although mine is block with liner i have mid water returns..i have now got my fish in and filters working.you are more than welcome to come and have a look and swap ideas.
forgot to mention i am in watford
Kangei Koi Club – Herts, Beds & Bucks
Visit: www.kangeikoiclub.com Email: kangeikoiclub@hotmail.co.uk Or follow us on facebook: “Kangei Koi Club"
lucky

Next

Return to Your Pond Build

• Advertisement
Evolution Aqua Food
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts