• Advertisement
Evolution Aqua Food

Multibay filter and vortex set up? (again!)

General discussion about all things Koi

Postby Fortysteve » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:10 pm

I've just spent a couple of hours cleaning my filters after the Blanket Answer had done its job. What a complete pain in the *!*%*! (why didnt i just get a nexus easy!)
Anyway, my filter set up has gravity feed to a large vortex with brushes, into a 3 bay filter. The first bay being static k1, 2nd fluid k1, 3rd jap mat.
Like most people who have converted multibays to k1, i have had to use fine mesh between bays to keep the k1 captive. The problem i've now found is that the bits of blanket weed etc block the mesh too easily. I'm now thinking about cutting bays 1 and 2 into a single bay of fluid k1. It would make life much easier, but then I won't have enough mechanical filteration.
If i scrap the brushes in the vortex and fill it with static k3 (won't need as fine a mesh) will this give me plenty of mechanical filteration? Any other suggestions are welcome.

Cheers, Steve
Fortysteve
Starting member
Starting member

Postby rigger1971 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:33 pm

take out the brushes,and slot a piece of japanese matting where the wier is into the first chamber!!keep a few handy for cleaning and see what a difference that makes??

no pond!! what do i know eh??

rigger1971

Postby terrym » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:06 pm

[quote]take out the brushes,and slot a piece of japanese matting where the wier is into the first chamber[/quote]

[;)][;)][;)] why take the brushes out,leave them in AND slot a piece of JM in the weir.

POP
terrym

Postby rick » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:23 pm

I retro fiited and eazy into my vortex does a great job

rick

Postby Fortysteve » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:40 pm

Not a bad idea with the piece of jap mat, might give that a go.
If i converted the vortex to an easy, would that not be primarily a bacteria filter, as what i need really is a mechanical filter before the fluid k1, or would you leave the k1/k3 in the vortex static?

What would be a better mechanical filter in the vortex? Stuffed full of static k1/k3 (airated just for cleaning), or stuffed tight with brushes?

Cheers lads, steve
Fortysteve
Starting member
Starting member

Postby gfrears1 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:56 pm

Gonna have to go with Rick on this one,I had muchios problemos with weed to so I put a vortex before my multibay and made my own easy,works great now with minimal solids getting to the multibay

gfrears1

Return to Koi Talk

• Advertisement
  • View new posts
  • View unanswered posts